I will continue to add features when you submit them, seniors. It's never too late. MK
Nice work, drum majors!
If you are having a difficult time opening the powerpoint, here's the results in a pdf file:
I think I fixed the google form - there were issues with it. Sorry. Hopefully now you can fill out and submit
Class of 2020:
Please fill out this Senior Salute form (link below) and submit to Mr K by the end of May at firstname.lastname@example.org
We as a band organization are currently waiting to see what the situation will turn out to be before we as a band organization make any move on further cancellations of events. All of us understand the concerns of the parents both healthwise and financially but if you read the recent band booster email, it spelled out the steps we are taking and what we are doing:
1. A decision on band camp will be made by June 15. No later. This will give us two full months to formulate plans for any practice or camp possibilities.
2. There are three possibilities:
a. Camp as planned.
b. camp on THS or AMS campus or in fields/facilities close to THS (day camp only),
c. no band camp at all.
This will be determined by district and state mandates and the availability of facility use as well as our own decision on what we want to do. These are our children, our volunteer parents, and our hired band staff members that we are talking about. Band camp and practices thereof, however, are also an integral part of our music program. No decision can be made lightly or quickly which is why we are waiting until no later than June 15 (decisions could happen prior to that date as well) to see how the situation has developed.
As we all hang in the balance of daily information updates, there are many factors in play that we have to adhere to. First off, if the state says camps can't happen on or off campus, that's the decision. If the camp itself is not allowed to host a band, that's the decision. If Trenton Public Schools says that groups cannot meet on campus or in the buildings, that's the decision. However, none of these things have been said by anyone yet so we are in the position of having to wait just like everyone else.
If in the event all camp options are not possible, refunds of the $300 for camp will begin on June 15. The other $150 band dues will still be used for band staff, transportation (we have to pay for our own band staff and transportation), and other things that go with marching band for any given season. But like at any other time, if a parent wants to pull a student out of marching band, the $150 will be refunded at that time as well.
I am not in the position to give any personal opinions of what I think is going to happen with band camp but I am glued to the news as much as anyone and understand fully your concerns. I am also aware that just about every other summer and even fall event and activity has been cancelled or drastically affected with massive changes.
With that in mind, we as a band organization are preparing for worst case scenarios but feel that pulling the plug on everything from band camp, practices, our major fundraising band competition invitational to even home game performances starting in August would be prematurely done if we don't wait until June 15 at which point we'd still have two months to prepare for any contingency. The state is opening up slowly but it is opening up as time passes. Do I think it will be opened to the point where large group events like band practices and band camp can occur in August? Again, I have my guesses but that's all they are. All we can do is waiting for updates regarding changes in the situation.
One of the hardest parts of this whole virus situation is having to deal with the unknown. While I understand that it's easier to plan for the future if we just cancel everything, it's truly not in the best interest of the students and the band program if we do so arbitrarily out of fear when we can wait until June 15. Hopefully by then we will know more about what the state, county, city, and school district determines to be the safest and best way to proceed with large groups, schools, and bands in particular.
One thing that you can be assured of - WE WILL TAKE NO RISKS WITH THE HEALTH OF YOUR CHILDREN, THE VOLUNTEER PARENTS, OR BAND STAFF.
This will apply to holding practices, having camp, performing as a large group, rehearsing in closed spaces or in close order.
We are in a unique situation. Not only are we as a band the largest class by all measures in Trenton, our class sessions start a month earlier than any other class at Trenton HS. While I cannot guess at how marching band will be affected at this time, I can confidently say that believe that by June 15, there will be clear mandates from the district and state as to what our direction should be.
If there are no clear mandates from the authorities by June 15, the band boosters and I will be put in position to have to cancel camp and all practices out of safety and health risks. Again, we will take no risks with the health of our band family. MK
Every auditioning drum major candidate had support from others but four students came out on top of the voting process. Captains also all had much support from peers and from band staff. Congratulations to all.
To All Trenton Band Families:
We hope each of you and your families are safe and healthy at this time. This health crisis has certainly had an impact on all of us physically, mentally and financially and we sincerely hope that each band family is doing the best they can under these circumstances.
The Executive Board of the Band Boosters met on Monday via teleconference and we wanted to give you all an update.
JAZZ CAFE - the Jazz Cafe scheduled for April 27th has been canceled. This annual fundraiser will not be rescheduled but will return in the Spring of 2021. For those of you that donated gift card prizes or cash donations, thank you! We will be saving these donations and use them for prizes next Jazz Cafe.
BAND BANQUET - scheduled for May 5th will be canceled and not rescheduled. Stay tuned though to the band boosters web site for an online version of the banquet featuring awards, honors and speeches that would have been part of the banquet.
BAND CAMP - scheduled for August 9-14. At this time, the boosters are closely monitoring the situation and the guidance from the camp, school district and the state of Michigan. Going to camp depends on many factors, including availability of chaperones, guidelines from the state, transportation and finances; we plan to continue to monitor these and make a decision regarding camp by June 15. We will likely have three options available to the band: going to camp as normal, hold a day camp at school, or dropping camp altogether. Your marching band fee of $450 includes $300 for camp and $150 for the show, which includes marching drills, costumes, props and expenses. If we do not go to camp, please be assured that the $300 camp portion of the fee can be refunded or applied to next year's camp. Also, if this health emergency continues through the summer and into the fall, and marching band activities are limited in the fall, we plan to have some additional Spring 2021 activities for the marching band.
Again, we hope you are safe and healthy. We hope this update gives you a good idea where the board is at during this time. Please feel free to reach out to any of us if you have any questions or concerns.
Trenton Band Boosters Executive Board
All: As you have probably assumed by now, it's now official that every music department event through the end of the school year is cancelled. This includes Jazz Cafe, the spring musical, Band Banquet, 3rd Tri Concerts, Memorial Parade, and Graduation ceremonies with the band.
However, we continuing to plan for band camp. We have an executive booster board meeting tonight to talk about the contingencies of holding or having to cancel band camp. There are many things to consider, least of which is the ability of students to be able to actually attend band camp financially or otherwise. We will be discussing every possibility ranging from business as usual at Skyline to holding a camp at THS to even having to cancel completely. At this time, we are waiting for each ruling from the state and from the school district to be made so that we can adjust our planning.
As band director, I know how important band camp is and how important the marching band is to our program overall. I will work and plan as hard as I can to make sure all marching band activities can be held and I will NOT cancel anything at this time unless it is cancelled for us by the state or district. However, I am aware that we do these activities by using volunteers who have other things to worry about. We also are aware that there are certain deadlines that we need to consider - bus rental, camp booking/refund deadline, etc. All will be discussed and of course, we will keep everyone in the loop as much as we can.
In another issue, all students and parents of THS will be receiving communication from the school district and Trenton HS tomorrow regarding how we plan to start giving REGULAR lessons in EVERY CLASS including music classes online for eight weeks. Look for this information soon. Once it is out there, I will communicate how I plan to do my lessons for band, chorus, and guitar.
Drum major tryouts will not be in person this year. All candidates must submit a one page (ONLY ONE PAGE!) resume in .doc format and a video of yourself conducting/commanding the fight song.
*PARENTS OF CANDIDATES MUST SEND MR KURILKO AN "APPROVED TO POST VIDEO ONLINE" EMAIL IN ORDER TO BE QUALIFIED!"
Every qualified candidate would have seen this procedure in class last year - if you have a question, contact Mr. K or a current drum major.
ALL SUBMISSIONS (both .doc resume and video file) MUST BE EMAILED - not texted - TO MR. KURILKO (email@example.com) by WEDNESDAY, APRIL 15. Mr. K will PUBLICLY post the resumes and videos on a special page on this website for review. Resumes and videos can be submitted now until 11:59pm on Wed, April 15.
There will be no candidates accepted after 11:59pm on Wed, April 15. No exceptions.
VOTING for your choices for drum majors will be done BY EMAIL USING YOUR SCHOOL EMAIL ADDRESS ONLY to Mr. K to ensure voting is fair and that a record of each person's name who voted can be kept on file. Specific ballot and instructions for how to vote will be posted on April 16 along with candidate videos and resumes.
Drum majors (4) for the 2020 season will be posted on Monday, April 20 on the NEWS page on this website.
DRUM MAJOR and SECTION CAPTAIN qualifications and rules:
Sample drum major resume (Note: will be publicly posted on this website)
The Trenton High School Music Department has been recognized for our quality in music education:
Congratulations to the 148 schools that received the SupportMusic Merit Award (SMMA) from The NAMM Foundation! A SMMA Award is an opportunity for an individual school (public, private, parochial or charter) to be acknowledged for its commitment to music education. It is a "school-only" distinction awarded as part of the Best Communities for Music Education program.
We are one of only three schools in the state of Michigan in 2020 that has been honored with this distinction. Check out the list in the link: