I am currently planning for a band and jazz band concert to be held on Monday, May 10 at 7pm in the THS auditorium. Here are the restrictions and plans that I have been working with to make it happen:
* there will be around 105 students involved (sports conflicts, full time remote, etc brings the number down to 105)
* the event will be live streamed with no audience permitted. THS is currently using MHSAA policy for max number for all events. Sports use a number based on players + max of 100 spectators + coaches/officials/admin. This policy is also being used for Kings Judging in the auditorium which for that event will be approximately 125 which is more than what the band concert would have in the room in total
* distancing measures will be in place as students will be spaced out all over the stage, pit, aisles, and other spaces. I will continue to plan using a six foot distance between students. However, while state recommendations have reduced the recommended distance for schools and classrooms to three feet, I will continue to use the six foot rule wherever possible like we do during daily class rehearsal.
* PPE will be used like we do during class. Personal masks and procedures as well as specialty masks (flutes) and instrument bell covers will be used.
* the event will be 45 minutes in length to reduce contact time
* the THS auditorium is one of the best ventilated spaces in the building. That being said, we will leave all doors open and all lights on
* planning will be done to reduce the amount of time and movement students will need to get their instruments and settle into their seats.
As the day approaches, there may be other considerations that could require further planning to keep things safe and healthy. I am working with THS administration to make this concert - the first since February 2020 - actually take place.
If current restrictions and limitations increase due to state ordered mandate changes, the event may be cancelled. No postponement can happen as the seniors last day is the following week.
If you do not feel comfortable with your student who is currently part of 1st, 2nd, or 4th period band class or jazz band participating in this concert even with the above health measures in place, please let me know ASAP. I will be required to make a seating chart for contact tracing purposes several days before the concert and will need to know which students will NOT be participating.
Live stream information will be provided a few days prior to May 10. Thank you for help and cooperation. It is my plan to give the kids - especially the seniors - this one final opportunity to perform together in the safest and healthiest way possible. If you have any concerns or suggestions, please contact me directly:
734 778 3418 (text)