Attendance and grading policy for practices and performances will be clearly explained in class this week:
Policy will be exactly like any other Trenton HS curricular class. For example, you cannot miss a 4th period class for a DYPAC rehearsal, a cousins birthday party, or a “surprise concert” thus you cannot miss a required practice or performance.
Attendance is not a choice, it is a requirement.
- if you are absent from school that day
- if you are involved with a THS sport or THS event event such as homecoming rehearsals or College Night
- if you have a written AND emailed parent excuse two weeks in advance for a special event such as a wedding
- if you have a doctors note for an absence when you attended school that day
- if a PARENT has officially arranged regular absences that have been approved by Mr. Kurilko and THS (Detroit Civic Jazz or Orchestra for example)
Attendance will be taken immediately after the stretch at each practice and event at opening set.
Grades WILL be affected by unexcused absences. Future leadership positions (drum major, captains) of course will also be affected. THERE IS NO MAKE UP - an absence is permanent. Gym credit may also be affected.
****A one-half letter grade cut will be applied for every unexcused absence by trimester end***
I want to make it very clear that community youth theater, church band rehearsals, AND WORK SCHEDULES are not an excused absence nor is “study time.” You have plenty of time before and after our short, twice a week only practices to study.
I do not anticipate many unexcused absences but school policies must be applied when they do occur. PARENTS WILL BE CONTACTED ON THE SPOT IF A STUDENT IS UNEXCUSED ABSENT - if a student is not at practice, the parent might not be aware thus a call WILL be made. We have had students skip practice, tell parents they were at practice, and were getting in trouble that the police were involved. Parents WILL be contacted within minutes if unexcused.