Full band practices scheduled for the week of Monday Aug 10 through Thursday Aug 13 have been suspended. Band camp Aug 17-20 possibilities for new practice schedule and procedures, pushing camp one or two weeks later, or cancellation are being discussed as more guidelines are set by state and district authorities.
As the Michigan High School Athletic Association and Governor Whitmer announce updated restrictions, the situation remains unsettled. Trenton Public Schools administration and I have met to discuss options and possibilities with the health and safety of students, parents, and staff as the number one priority.
In other recent developments, the entire marching band competitive season in the state of Michigan has been canceled for 2020 including the Trenton Invitational. Furthermore, assuming we continue to be in Phase 4 of restrictions which requires 100 or fewer total people in a stadium for any event, the band will not be attending football games if they are held. Only in Phase 5 would that number go to 250 maximum which would still be problematic for a band of 173 members, two football teams, coaches, officials, medical staff, band pit crews, administration, and possible attending parents of players.
I am working to find options to give THS Marching Band members some level of music instruction in a safe manner in the month of August. We still currently have drumline and color guard practices happening using required health and safety protocols and social distancing measures but that is mainly due to their instruments/equipment not being wind instruments which carry their own restrictions for social distancing and aerosol protection.
It may be possible to potentially have marching-only practices without instruments or wind instrument sectionals in small groups but I have been given the directive that only small groups such as one or two sections can be on campus at a time. All 173 will not be permitted to practice on campus even if split up into sections due to health screening issues, bond construction limitations of available space, and the fact that no students are permitted inside any district school building. Sports teams are facing the same issues but since they are much smaller, they may be able to overcome them. High risk, high contact sports such as football, however, may not be able to. The MHSAA has stated that as mid-August approaches, they will update rules and mandates for sports including football which has already seen their first allowed practice week changed to contact-less no pads. They are at the same point that marching bands are as we all wait for the next set of guidelines.
As we head into August, I will update this News blog with any new information as it happens. This blog will also continue to be shared on the THS Band 2020-2021 facebook page. Stay safe! Mr. Kurilko
Now that we are heading into the last week of July and our busiest month of the year - August, I am sure everyone is on pins and needles waiting to find out more information about everything that we do as a band. It's July 23 and things are still up in the air on many, many issues.
However, I can safely state that there are a lot of people working hard to make things happen in some form for the THS Marching Band for the 2020 season. The drill is being custom designed not just specifically for our band but incorporating all of the safety protocols that we need to follow. I have been working since the shut down began to find the best ways to deliver instruction effectively and safely to the THS Band students who deserve the very best that I can do for them. I miss teaching you more than you will ever know and am doing everything that I can to get back in front of you effectively.
As the situation changes seemingly every day with new information, new policies, and new guidelines now that we are heading into the stretch run toward the opening of schools, I will be posting here and linking to the facebook page more as more information becomes available. I have a DOCUMENT that I will post with all procedures and schedules for the precamp week and camp week. It includes safety protocols that we MUST follow as well as instrument specific information that will help us move forward as we go from being a group of 173 excited high school aged students to being the Trenton High School Marching Band.
Stay tuned - the next two weeks will be very eventful in terms of changing information.
The Band Boosters have been hard at work preparing for the 2020 season. We do not know at this time if we will be able to proceed, but we wanted to make sure we shared our plans, if we are given the green light to proceed. We will soon be receiving guidance from the school district and state on this issue, so please note that these plans are not yet set in stone.
PRE-CAMP: will be held at THS August 10-13, 900am-1200pm each day
BAND CAMP: will be held at THS August 17-20 Sessions will be 900am-1200pm, 100pm-300pm and 600pm-800pm each day, with a special event at the conclusion of each day (to be determined).
For pre-camp and camp each day, we are to follow the same protocols for athletics set forth by the school district and the MHSAA:
-each student must complete a health questionnaire prior to arrival
-each student will have their temperature taken at arrival
-social distancing of at least six feet will be maintained
-masks must be worn when not playing an instrument or if meeting in small groups for instruction
-band staff and volunteers are also subject to the above protocol
-we are unable to provide any water or food. Please bring your own water and food.
The marching drill is being written with social distancing in mind. We have a spot on the field for everyone who committed to band at the end of the school year. We understand that many students and/or parents may not be comfortable with participating this year. If you would like to withdraw, please let Mr K know as soon as possible.
Information on show shirt, hat, and shoe orders will be made available as soon as we know if we will be able to march.
For students who will be marching but have not paid the $150 marching fee, please do so as soon as possible. Payment can be mailed to the PO Box or given to treasurer Mike Irvin.
We will need some volunteers for the pre-camp and camp weeks. If you are available, please email Lara Laney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to have a great season, but at this point the situation is undetermined. We will be receiving guidance from the school district and the state soon, and we will announce finalized plans as soon as we are able. In the meantime, if there are any questions or concerns, please direct them to Mark Revesz, Booster President at email@example.com.
Trenton Band Boosters